Science and Technology in Cultural Context
Venues DAW-International Seoul

DAW Home

About DAW


Latest News

Previous DAW

DAW Sponsors

Mailing List

DAW14 Overview


Innovations Forum


Hybrid Highlights

Art of Gaming

Virtuale Seoul


Off Label Seoul




About Seoul

Hotels Seoul

DAW Sponsors

Mailing List

Restricted Access

Media Information




Museum of Art (MoA)

Located on Gwanak Campus of Seoul National University, the Museum of Art (MoA) was opened in June 2006. The building was designed by Rem Kolhaas and the construction of it was sponsored in by Samsung Cultural Foundation. After careful planning by the Seoul National University Campus Planning Committee, a sloping site was chosen for the location of the museum, which the architect utilized in the final design. The museum is divided into four basic program areas: Operations, Educational, Exhibition, and Library. Exhibitions are held regularly throughout the year and focus on the arts as well as areas of design. The museum is cantilevered on a concrete core, thus giving the appearance of lightness and floating in space, providing one of Seoul’s most unique spaces to present art and design and to hold conferences. Many international as well as national artists and designers have been exhibited.


Culture Station 284

The Culture Station 284 was opened in 2012 as a culture complex with its original exterior, after a two year of restoration project by the Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism and the state-run Korea Craft and Design Foundation (KCDF). Culture Seoul Station 284 is a space for diverse artistic and cultural creation and exchange." The official name, which combines the station's historic, spatial, and urban symbolisms, was selected through a national open call. By combining the notion of a cultural space with the old Seoul Station’s historic site number 284, the name aims to embody the concepts of preserving its appearance and value as a historic site while simultaneously cultivating the meaning of the station as a place of various cultural intersections.

Culture Station 284
서울 특별시시 종로구 청파로 446
446 Cheongpa-ro, Jung-gu, Seoul

google map → more

Platoon Künsthalle Seoul

The Platoon Künsthalle is a creative platform that can operate by itself. It is thoroughly independent and operates with a mixed force that includes creative directors, designers, artists, writers, moviemakers, photographers, programmers, etc. PLATOON inspires dreams, creates desires, and proclaims values through real experiences. PLATOON KUNSTHALLE is not about entertainment, but provides a communication platform for all who are interested in subcultural creative fields like street art, graphic design, fashion, video art, programming, music, club culture, and political activism. Secret Gardens at Changdeokgung\\ Also known Changdeok Palace, the gardens is set within a large park in Jongno-gu, Seoul, South Korea. It is one of the "Five Grand Palaces" built by the kings of the Joseon Dynasty (1392–1897. Behind the palace lies the 78-acre Huwon (후원, 後苑, Rear garden) which was originally constructed for the use of the royal family and palace women. The garden incorporates a lotus pond, pavilions, and landscaped lawns, trees, and flowers. There are over 26,000 specimens of a hundred different species of trees in the garden and some of the trees behind the palace are over 300 years old. The garden for the private use of the king had been called Forbidden garden because even high officials were not allowed to enter without the king's permission. It had also been called 'Inner garden'. Today Koreans often call it 'Biwon' Secret garden, which derived from the office of same name in the late 19th century.

Platoon Künsthalle Seoul
서울 특별시 강남구 논현동 97-22
97 22 Nonhyeon dong, Gangnam-gu, 135 010 Seoul

google map → more

Secret Garden

Changdeokgung (Hangul, 창덕궁, 昌德宮; literally, "Prospering Virtue Palace") — also known as Changdeokgung Palace or Changdeok Palace — is set within a large park in Jongno-gu, Seoul, South Korea. It is one of the "Five Grand Palaces" built by the kings of the Joseon Dynasty (1392–1897). As it is located east of Gyeongbok Palace, Changdeokgung — along with Changgyeonggung — is also referred to as the "East Palace" (동궐, 東闕, Donggwol).

Changdeokgung was the most favored palace of many Joseon princes and retained many elements dating from the Three Kingdoms of Korea period that were not incorporated in the more contemporary Gyeongbokgung. One such element is the fact that the buildings of Changdeokgung blend with the natural topography of the site instead of imposing themselves upon it. It, like the other Five Grand Palaces in Seoul, was heavily damaged during the Japanese occupation of Korea (1910-1945). Currently, only about 30% of the pre-Japanese structures survive.

Changdeokgung Secret Garden
서울특별시 종로구 율곡로 99
Seoul National University Museum of Art, 151 – 742 Gwanakgu Gwanakdong, Seoul

google map → more

National Palace

Gyeongbokgung was built three years after the Joseon Dynasty was founded and it served as its main palace. With Mount Bugak as a backdrop and the Street of Six Ministries (today’s Sejongno) outside Gwanghwamun Gate, the main entrance to the palace, Gyeongbokgung was situated in the heart of the Korean capital city. It was steadily expanded before being reduced to ashes during the Japanese invasion of 1592.//

For the next 273 years the palace grounds were left derelict until being rebuilt in 1867 under the leadership of Regent Heungseon Daewongun. The restoration was completed on a grand scale, with 330 buildings crowded together in a labyrinthine configuration. Within the palace walls were the Outer Court (oejeon), offices for the king and state officials, and the Inner Court (naejeon), which included living quarters for the royal family as well as gardens for leisure. Within its extensive precincts were other palaces, large and small, including Junggung (the Queen`s residence) and Donggung (the Crown prince’s residence).

Owing to its status as the symbol of national sovereignty, Gyeongbokgung was demolished during the Japanese occupation of the early 20th century. In 1911, ownership of land at the palace was transferred to the Japanese Governor-General. In 1915, on the pretext of holding an exhibition, more than 90% of the buildings were torn down. Following the exhibition the Japanese leveled whatever still remained and built their colonial headquarters, the Government-General Building (1916–26), on the site.

Restoration efforts have been ongoing since 1990. The Government-General Building was removed in 1996 and Heungnyemun Gate (2001) and Gwanghwamun Gate (2006-2010) were reconstructed in their original locations and forms. Reconstructions of the Inner Court and Crown Prince’s residence have also been completed.

National Palace
서울특별시 종로구 사직로 161
161 Sajik-ro, Jongno-gu, Seoul

google map → more

Copyright @ ETH Zürich
Page last modified on December 16, 2014, at 02:19 AM